Sunday, April 30, 2006

Colbert's "Crossfire" moment


My religious conversion - that is, the event that made me nto a religious watcher of "The Daily Show" was Stewart's smackdown of the bloated, self-important foolishness of Crossfire -- -on Crossfire. For me, it had a modern Christ-driving-the-money-changers feel to it.

My watching of "The Colbert Report" has been a little less devoted. He's obviously extremely talented and quick on his feet, but the 100% in character thing is sometimes hard to take -- a little too much Tony Clifton-esque at times.

But all is now forgiven, Steven. I am born again.

Last night Colbert offered up the bravest and most biting comedic payload yet -- not on TV in front of his disciples, but in George Bush's face, at the White House Correspondent's Dinner. The smackdown extended to the press corpse, too.

Editor & Publisher has the highlights. Read the whole thing. Crooks&Liars has the video. Watch it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutly agree with you, at times Cobert can get on my nerves with the shtick, he can also drag bits out past funny like the press sec film. It would have been funnier if it were shorter.

But I have to watch any night he has a pundit on. His disection of that ass Kristol should be manditory viewing for all pundits.

I wish he really could get The Boy George on his show, I'd have to wear 2 depends because I'm sure I'd wet myself laughing at the site.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Yeah, the schtick bugs me a bit too. The short bits on DS left me wanting more. But the whole show is too much for me.

I loved that clip. It motivated me to figure out my new Treo 700w and get the video on my phone. It worked. So now I can share it with strangers on the bus.

Oh, and I think that clip has raised my Colbert tolerance threshold by about fifteen minutes. I bet it did for others as well. We shold see a spike in the ratings.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny how it takes a comedian/satirist to lampoon the president and the press. Has the press done its job? No. It's been napping for 6 years.

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats