Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Westmoreland Award redux

A few months back, when the Administration was still investing a lot of effort in trying to convince us that the Mission remains Accomplished in Iraq, I tried to interest readers in my General William Westmoreland Light at the End of the Tunnel award for the most egregiously self-deluded pronouncement about the "progress" we are making in the Quagmire Formerly Known as Iraq, aka the LATEOTT award. Nominees were discussed, for example, here, here and here. Re-reading their nonsense is even more entertaining with the benefit of six months of additional fuck-ups.

Think Progress brings to my attention another worthy entrant that has inspired me to try again.

Looking back on a two week stretch in which 1,500 Iraqis have reportedly died in sectarian violence and the number of Iraqi battalions capable of fighting without U.S. support has fallen to zero, General Pace, Chair of the Joint Chiefs:
I’d say they’re going well. I wouldn’t put a great big smiley face on it, but I would say they’re going very, very well from everything you look at.
Most impressive.

Update: Oh, and check out this list put together by EarlG @ Democratic Underground of virtually continuous "upsurges" in violence in Iraq over the past two years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats