Thursday, March 23, 2006

Here's your chance, Canute

First, thanks to those of you who responded -- I'm in the midst of a grave, self-inflicted computer wound, which will limit my blogging for a couple of days, but I appreciate the interaction, such as it is.

The (expressed) majority opinion seems to be to engage Ms. Canute. I'm willing to give it a try, though I'm not sure exactly how it should work. Frankly, I find this a difficult topic to deal with, because I feel like I am being attacked as a member of a class toward which Ms. Canute feels and expresses considerable animus. So I am not inclined to let Ms. Canute post directly. But if you want to explain your position, lady, have at it in the comments. Tell me why I shouldn't feel attacked. Or tell me why you are attacking me.

So, Ms. Canute, I'm going to hold my fire for the moment and resist the urge to start by taking on what I have read in your writings. Not since the time someone actually said to me, more than 20 years ago, "Some of my best friends are Jewish," have I tried to engage in a dialogue like this.

Enlighten us. Tell us why you are not to be dismissed as a nutcase.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

That's funny - he doesn't look bluish.

(I'm trying to invoke Mel Brooks and Spaceballs here. Anyone?)

11:42 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

OK, come clean - what did you do to your computer? Coffee spill? Drop your laptop? Format c:? Delete a partition?

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful what you wish for...

As much as I enjoy the warm embrace of the thousands...

John, prepare to be "embraced". Lonely is a place you will long for very soon. Then, when you are tired of standing in shit just remember, it's only a step or two to get out of it. If it seems difficult to move when you "want" to, you aren't actually tired of being in it yet.

Emotion, once inveigled to arise, cannot be easily stuffed back in the box (that would be THAT Pandora). While you may believe you are inviting rational discourse, you won't get it, and in fact you will enjoy the level of screaming for a short while. A very short while.

Inviting an argument to take place on your turf will NOT BE FUN. Unless you are really, really, really (no my computer is not inserting "really" mindlessly) clear why you are doing this, you will likely not be able to remain above it, since it will be a messy accident that could have easily been avoided in the first place.

Mazeltov.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might seem like a good idea to engage this lunatic; but probably best to do it on his/her territory.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats