Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Today's history lesson

This authorization is a vital tool in our war against the terrorists. It is critical to saving American lives. The American people expect me to do everything in my power under our laws and Constitution to protect them and their civil liberties. And that is exactly what I will continue to do, so long as I'm the President of the United States.

...

"...(T)his program is conscious of people's civil liberties, as am I. This is a limited program designed to prevent attacks on the United States of America -- and I repeat: limited."

American chief executive, December 17, 2005 and January 1, 2006, urging support of warrantless domestic spying, vesting de facto legislative and judicial power in the executive.

"The government will make use of these powers only insofar as they are essential for carrying out vitally necessary measures...The number of cases in which an internal necessity exists for having recourse to such a law is in itself a limited one."

German chief executive, March 23, 1933, urging passage of the "Enabling Act," which vested all power in the executive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats