Monday, November 14, 2005

Pharyngula::Scott Adams is a Wally

I abandoned the very concept of heroes some time ago. I think the whole idea of holding up a flesh-and-blood human to Marvel Comic standards is a fundamentally silly pursuit because (a) you're bound to be disappointed and (b) the need to believe in the perfection and/or omnipotence in another human being is kinda sad in anyone older than about thirteen.

Alas, that perhaps cynical view does not mean I am beyond disappointment. Scott Adams, the savvy observer of the corporate world behind Dilbert, has a blog in which he recently pontificated about "Intelligent Design," and makes rather a mess of it. He thereby proves once again that projecting generalized smarts onto people who are really good at one thing is a dodgy proposition at best. Pharyngula takes him down, as do some of the many commenters on Adams' blog .

I'll never look at Dogbert the same way again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

You've got to have some heroes, man. They just have to be dead already to avoid the potential let down. Or you lower the bar a bit and honor the heroics of mere mortals.

Like Sting - he was my hero because he showed just what you can do with an English degree (I majored in English). But then he did the Jaguar ads. That hurt, and he was off my hero list. Now he's kind of back on it, sort of.

I want to add:

"None of my heroes don't appear on no poatage stamp." --Chuck D.

And finally, I challenge you to come up with something that would make me take the Dalai Lama off of my hero list. In my opinion, he is the exception to the rule that heroes always let you down.

4:00 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Oh yeah - and I actually worked in the very building that was the birthplace of Dilbert. It's the Pacific Bell (Now SBC) building in San Ramon, CA. It's shaped like a big giant cross, but it my opinion, they didn't finish the building and it's actually an unfinished swastika. The place was really that bad. And it is HUGE!!! Cube after cube after cube after AHHhhhh! where the hell is my desk?

Anyway - I e-mailed him asking where his cube was when he worked there and he actually wrote back and gave me the number. Where he once sat had been replaced with a community printer station when I worked there. That didn't get him on my hero list, but I thought it was pretty cool that he took the time to reply.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats