Friday, November 07, 2008

Blogiversary bookends

The first entry in this blog was posted on November 7, 2004:

angry

pissed. frustrated. perplexed. but mostly pissed.


What a difference fours years make, eh? On November 10, 2004, I linked to the Sorry Everybody website, where liberals apologized for our country to the rest of the world; now we see pictures of ecstatic reactions from all around the world. Then, cartoons looked like this:


And this:




Ah, those were the days....

In many ways it makes sense to stop here.

In a micro sense, readership has, after growing to a reasonable level, retreated to numbers not much larger than when we first started. And growing is harder now than it was then; the blogosphereic firmament is pretty static at this point, and this blog's impact on it rounds to zero.

More importantly, in a macro sense, the distance from Kerry's loss to Obama's win has been traversed. I think the blogosphere has had a major role. And I have been willing to be one of countless minions in the army of ants swarming the stupid. I think the blogosphere has a real role going forward as well, but is there sufficient return on investment from this one small platform? I will have to ponder that one. I am sometimes pleased by the sound of my own voice here, but self-indulgence is a luxury, and these are tough times. It is nice having a place to vent, but there comes a time when blogs must be beaten into ploughshares.

Anyway, much has been said and (collectively) accomplished. So:


Proud.

Cautiously hopeful. Relieved. Strangely wistful. But mostly proud.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know. The batteries in my blogosphereic firmament meter are dead so I'll have to take your word for it.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not leave it lie fallow for a while? If the purpose was to find like-minded people or to present an alterantive viewpoint, it only makes sense to "sell" when there is a price you like. With the following statement already lying there begging for comment, it seems 'we' may not be where you think we are.

--------------
In strikingly racist remarks, Benjamin Emanuel, the father of Rahm Emanuel, has said Israel will benefit from Obama's choice of White House chief of staff, as reported in the Israeli Ma'ariv daily...

"Obviously he will influence the president to be pro-Israel. Why wouldn't he be? What is he, an Arab? He's not going to clean the floors of the White House."
------------------

If it wan't your goal to reach a place where THAT goes unchallenged, you'll soon have lots to squeal about.

TA

10:59 AM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Every little bit helped.

And I enjoy TA's strong views. He makes me constantly reevaluate what I am and am not willing to do for the country I love.

And this site was motivated me to start my blog and not hide my politics in a bushel basket.

Sing with me - "This little blog of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..."

I think you have a little election hangover. I feel like I don't have anything to bitch about and I'm sort of waiting for 1/20/09.

So I turn to the MN Senate race, Ted Stevens, and so on to keep me angry.

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats