Friday, October 07, 2005

I, Blockhead

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."
Samuel Johnson

Today marks the one year anniversary of my internet debut. (My blogiversary is still a month off.) On October 7, 2004, Democratic Underground ran my piece “It’s the Stupidity, Stupid.” I’ve been vomiting forth ever since. The tally: 30 pieces, mostly on Raw Story, over the course of the year. That’s 30,000 words, give or take – about a third of an average novel. All of which has made me rich beyond dreams of avarice…not.

A year ago, I was optimistic that we would be able to unseat the dim bulb dauphin. That smile turned upside down on Election Day, and I went through a period of dark, bitter rants.

Much has changed in the last few months (for which I will continue to decline credit, your gushing praise to the contrary), and I have reached a place of, perhaps, dark optimism. But I still devote hours to pro bono wordsmithery, which means I am still a blockhead.

2 Comments:

Anonymous pablo verde said...

you might well be a blockhead, but as we say out here on the flatlands: i can dig it. thanks, comrade.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Dr. Bloor said...

Interestingly, today is also the 50th anniversary of Allen Ginsberg's first public reading of "Howl". There is little doubt in my mind that as with Ginsberg, future generations of scruffy, undersexed college boys will be casually tossing out lines from the collected works of Mr. Bluememe in order to improve their odds with lefty coeds.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats