Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Game, Set, Match

Pelosi nixes idea of ‘war tax’

All told, the Democratic proposal for an “Iraq tax” lasted about four hours. That’s roughly the amount of time from when House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey (D-Wis.) gave life to the idea with his endorsement to when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) strangled it.

“Just as I have opposed the war from the outset, I am opposed to a draft and I am opposed to a war surtax,” Pelosi said in a statement issued this afternoon.

Rep. James McGovern (D-Mass.) is the author of the tax proposal, which is still being written. The tax would be intended to raise roughly $150 billion for the war and consist of a surtax of 2 to 15 percent of a person’s income tax. A 2 percent surtax means that a person who otherwise would pay $100 in taxes would pay $102.

“If you don’t like the cost, then shut down the war,” Obey said in a news conference.

Obey also told reporters President Bush will not get supplemental money for the Iraq war until he agrees to change course.

Bush has sent a request for a $190 billion supplemental spending bill.

That's it.

Game, set, match.

I hereby disown, disavow and distance myself from the Democratic Party. If you catch me using the pronouns "we" or "us" when discussing the Democrats, please slap me and remind me of my vow.

I suspect the Meme will never be blue again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I suggested over at Salon, wait until the primary season expires so that a third party can steal some good talent and thereby have a solid start.

The trouble of course is which two-faced treacherous cretins to drag along...

12:02 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I'm sure TA likes the V for Vendetta Meme. But I keep going back to the tie-dyed Meme. Tune in, turn on, drop out man.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats