Friday, January 19, 2007

Martingalemageddon

From Reuters.com:


U.S. contingency planning for military action against Iran's nuclear program goes beyond limited strikes and would effectively unleash a war against the country, a former U.S. intelligence analyst said on Friday.

"I've seen some of the planning ... You're not talking about a surgical strike," said Wayne White, who was a top Middle East analyst for the State Department's bureau of intelligence and research until March 2005.

"You're talking about a war against Iran" that likely would destabilize the Middle East for years, White told the Middle East Policy Council, a Washington think tank.

"We're not talking about just surgical strikes against an array of targets inside Iran. We're talking about clearing a path to the targets" by taking out much of the Iranian Air Force, Kilo submarines, anti-ship missiles that could target commerce or U.S. warships in the Gulf, and maybe even Iran's ballistic missile capability, White said.

The fact that you could put "I was right" on my tombstone will be of scant comfort if there is nobody left to bury me, let alone give me credit.

We are rapidly coming to a point where the only way to head off such a disaster will be forcible removal -- lesser Congressional remedies are simply not up to the task of reining in an executive hell-bent on defiantly destroying himself and his country.

At this point I'd only give 50-50 odds that even impeachment would work, absent military cooperation. I said back in November that "This election means that our ongoing Constitutional crisis will finally also be a power struggle, and that the battle is finally joined." I suspect it is finally dawning on Congresscritters on both sides of the aisle just how high the stakes really are. What I fear they have not yet grasped is how little time they have left to avoid a second Holocaust.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I'm trying to get a good night's sleep for a change. But I just can't help myself. I take a hot tub or play some pool with my boy. Maybe have a glass of wine or a beer. And then I just can't stop myself from checking a few blogs.

And tonight I will toss and turn again.

What's eating at me now is that for the last week and a half I've been meaning to write Congress and Senate to ask that they put some checks on military escalation. And I haven't gotten around to it. Been busy, you know? Took down the Christmas decorations, a lot of stuff going on at work, the dogs need training and attention, and I'm trying to get the golf cart painted.

So if we wake up tomorrow with missile strikes and a new front or something, I'm sorry, it's my fault. I've been busy.

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...the only way to head off such a disaster will be forcible removal --

What? We're not gonna use the 'V' option are we? Because that's what you are talking about. That, in a different way, is what I've been talking about, but you seem not to have understood the real options.

By the way, the ONLY way to forcibly remove him is to have his friends do it. Yep. Your job is to quickly convince them that it is better now than later and better them than anyone else, unless they really wanna see blood in the streets outside their houses. Gets kind of hard to sleep with all them damn mortars landing nearby and all, ya know? Like that, only friendly like and with style. But you better move now or join esoder in lining up for the blame.

TA

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats