Saturday, October 15, 2005

Spongedob does a Pat Robertson on Miers

I believe George Bush has made an outstanding selection of Harriet Miers. You won't hear a lot of this in the media, but it is there. For one thing, she is a deeply committed Christian. She has been a believer in Jesus Christ since the late 1970s. I know the individual who led her to the Lord. I know the church that she goes to. I know it's very conservative church. I know that she is a tithe-paying member of that church. I know that she has deep convictions about things. And I have talked at length to people that know her and have known her for a long time. Some of them have been a close personal friend of hers for 25 years. And I trust these people because I know them. I know who they are, and I know their character, and I know what they stand for, and I know their love for the Lord. And they have said to me, "This is a good woman who will do the right thing when the chips are down. She will not be a disappointment, and you cannot go wrong by seeing her in one of the most powerful positions in this country" -- that being the justice who replaces Sandra Day O'Connor on the court. I've heard that over and over from people who are not giving me hearsay. They are saying, "This is my personal friend. I know what she cares about." And I believe -- George Bush cannot say that, and Harriet Miers cannot say that, and maybe I shouldn't say that, but I know it to be true. And that is part of why I have confidence, because I have confidence in those individuals.


James Dobson, Radio Broadcast, October 5, 2005



In a private conversation designed to garner support for the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, White House aide Karl Rove told a key conservative Christian leader that the Texas lawyer had once fought for a policy that "would not be supportive of abortion."
...
Dobson made the disclosure in a radio address taped Tuesday, following threats that the Senate Judiciary Committee might subpoena him and force him to describe his conversation with Rove.
...
Dobson said Rove told him in an Oct. 1 phone conversation that Bush wanted to name a woman to replace outgoing Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and that Miers was on "the short list" of nominees.

Dobson said Rove described Miers as "an evangelical Christian from a very conservative church, which is almost universally pro-life," who had "taken on the American Bar Association on the issue of abortion and fought for a policy that would not be supportive of abortion." She had also been a member of Texas Right to Life, Dobson said.

But Dobson stressed that they "did not discuss Roe v. Wade in any context or any other pending issue that will be considered by the court. I did not ask that question." The 1973 decision legalized abortion.
Knight-Ridder, October 12, 2005




"What the Democrats have concluded in their wildest speculation is that Mr. Rove laid out for me a detailed promise that Ms. Miers would vote to overturn Roe v. Wade and revealed all the other judicial opinions that she has supposedly prejudged. It did not happen, period."
James Dobson, Radio Broadcast, October 12, 2005



negative pregnant

n. a denial of an allegation in which a person actually admits more than he/she denies by denying only a part of the alleged fact. Example: Plaintiff alleges Defendant "misused more than a hundred thousand dollars placed in his trust in 1994." Defendant denies the amount was more than a hundred thousand, and denies it was given to him in 1994. Thus, he did not deny the misuse, just the amount and the date.
law.com dictionary



"Thou shallt not bear false witness against thy neighbor"
Moses, a few thousand years ago



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats