Sunday, April 17, 2005

More from Scalia's interlocutor

via Wonkette:

The NYU law student who stuck it to Nino Scalia explains:

Although ... my question was legally relevant, as I explain below, an independent motivation for my speech-act was to simply subject a homophobic government official to the same indignity to which he would subject millions of gay Americans. It was partially a naked act of resistance and a refusal to be silenced. I wanted to make him and everyone in the room aware of the dehumanizing effect of trivializing such an important relationship.

If we are very lucky, and our country wakes from this theocratic nightmare, this guy's question will resonate the way Joseph Welch's "have you no shame, sir?" ended Joe McCarthy's reign of terror.

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Rivera said...

I had not seen the student's later reply. A very good one, thanks for passing it on.

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats