Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Why I fight

Socrates
"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question."

John Stuart Mill, Utilitarianism (1863)

I suspect that most Americans take for granted the freedoms and Constitutional protections a few of us are always on about. Perhaps that explains, at least in some people, why clanging alarms about an Administration positively run amok are met with yawns and blank stares.

But it is now much worse than that. I think a growing segment of our population has moved to a much more dangerous stage in the descent into totalitarianism. Rather than assuming that freedoms are safe, they have reached the stage at which the very value of those freedoms is no longer, to coin a phrase, self-evident.

Think it can't happen?

Think again.

Many Americans assume that China’s internet users are both aware of and unhappy about their government’s oversight and control of the internet. But in a new survey, most Chinese say they approve of internet control and management, especially when it comes from their government.

According to findings from the fourth and most recent of a series of surveys about internet use in China from 2000 to 2007, over 80% of respondents say they think the internet should be managed or controlled, and in 2007, almost 85% say they think the government should be responsible for doing it.
Ten years ago, I would have argued that a story like this was completely inapplicable to the American experiment -- that all men were Socrates, as it were. If you still believe that now, I have a used (though not recently) Constitution to sell you.

I have ranted before about the dangers that flow from what could be thought of as the "pig happy" industry. I see it all as part and parcel of our pursuit of the model now prevalent in China, in which ideas are pre-screened for our own protection.

By the time we get there, and it won't be long now, the pigs may well realize that their happiness is as passe' as Socrates but it will be too late to go back.

4 Comments:

Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

constitution n.

1. The act or process of composing, setting up, or establishing.

I think W looked up the word before his oath and stopped at the first definition. He's a letter of the law kind of guy, right? And he is upholding the setting up a new United States.

Provided nothing crazy happens, I think we will coast through until the election, suffer through a host of pardons, and then Obama will start us back on the right path. I'm holding my nose until then.

I think the Bush Administration is going to leave office with a lot of (insipid) things on their to do list.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for all the great info. I was browsing through a bunch of political websites and blogs (mostly liberal ones) and I came across your blog and find it to be very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like huff post, and other news sites like politico. Do you know of any that cover politics and the environment? I saw earthlab.com which has mostly environmental info but some politics. I took EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). It was pretty easy to use (and it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any other blogs you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites or any ones with green info?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Wow! That is some verbose spam - that's almost like a Webby!

Also, I just wanted to say that I am glad you fight.

I've been swamped and haven't been doing much fighting lately.

But I did manage to convince a guy in Texas that Fox News' claims that Obama has ties to terrorists was nonsense. One small victory.

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Rodent Control Evansville said...

Awesome blog yyou have here

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats