Tuesday, July 03, 2007

speechless

I don't have a clue what to say. I am mute with rage and horror.

Most of the press is of course ignoring the obvious fact that Bush chose to commute rather than pardon because it is the best way to protect himself and Cheney. They of course refuse to say the obvious -- that it is clear and willful obstruction of justice.

I see little to counter my feeling that they will get away with it. They could not care less at this point about the polls. They will gleefully stonewall Congressional subpoenas, becaus ethey know how toothless Congress has made itself. Impeachment remains off the table, our Democratic eunuchship tells us. Thus Bush and Cheney fear nothing.

I understand why they do it. I understand why the David Brookses and William Kristols blighting our discourse celebrate it. What amazes me is why significant swaths (minorities, perhaps, but not tiny ones) of ordinary Joes applaud it. It is perhaps the most dramatic example of Stockholm Syndrome on a national level of our lifetimes.

I have no great insights, no suggestions, no advice. I fear we are past a cure, that our Constitution is dead man walking. If you have a better idea, or a more optimistic response, I'd love to hear it.
...

On a completely different subject, does it strike anyone else as odd that, at the very same time as we collectively freak over cars filled with nails and gasoline, and about the scary, scary terrorists among us, we now have thousands of locations where absolutely anyone can anonymously purchase large quantities of explosives? I have always looked askance at our annual ritual of getting drunk and playing with pyrotechnics, but it hit me this afternoon that our "war on terror" and the easy availability of fireworks might be just a touch contradictory.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh Blue Meme-

I'm with you. I wish I had some great advice for you because you really seem to need it lately. But honestly, you're the smartest guy in the room here.

Perhaps it is time for you to take to the streets, like you suggested over at Glenn's place earlier. Find some other people in your area and join them. Surely they must organize on the internets, but I'm not sure off-hand where to find such listings. CraigsList or Meetup maybe? You could probably use a day in the sun carrying around a sign and chanting. Let that inner-hippie shine through. Be proud of it.

I really do think things will run their course, but we have to keep fighting. It's hard, I know. But people are noticing and more are coming around all of the time. We just have to yell a bit louder than the opposing team.

Some Ghandi quote comes to mind - maybe not an accurate one: First they ignore you, then they fight you, then you win. Or something like that. I think we're somewhere in the middle of that process right now.

Cheer up. Maybe some fireworks would help, eh? By the way, those "Terrorist doctors" who couldn't manage to start much of a fire - much less an explosion - probably couldn't do any better with the crappy fireworks that regular folks can buy.

12:52 AM  
Blogger bluememe said...

Randy,

I've used that Ghandi quote before myself. Problem is, I think we are now moving back down the evolutionary ladder, and they are back to ignoring us.

A handful of people taking to the streets is utterly useless. Unless we go by the hundreds of thousands, it means nothing. And it is far beyond my meager reach to instigate that.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats