Thursday, May 31, 2007

Awwwwwww....

Bryant wants out of Lakers

Once upon a time, I was a Laker fan. The Showtime Lakes were a team for the ages -- Magic, Kareem, Big Game James, along with Pat Riley as coach -- four locks for the Hall of Fame. When that era passed, my interest flagged a bit. But then Jerry West pulled together an even more impressive roster -- Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton, with Phil Jackson running the show -- that's five guys headed to the Hall.

And then Kobe the young and talented became Kobe, the man-child for whom winning with one of the great teams of all times was not enough. Kobe had to be the star, not just a star. And so Malone and Kobe and Payton all left, as (briefly) did coach Phil. And so Kobe got his wish as the undisputed go-to guy for the Lakers.

And they sucked.

And continue to suck. They have not won a playoff series since Kobe drove away the other talent.

Old hat, of course. And my general lack of interest in the NBA has meant no Kobe rags from me in more than a year.

But now there's this:
Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant, who is increasingly upset over the direction the National Basketball Association team has taken, wants the club to trade him.

"I would like to be traded, yeah. Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative," the 28-year-old Bryant told ESPN radio.

Bryant said he is fed up with empty promises from Lakers' management and now it is time to move on.

"They want to move in a different direction and the team is rebuilding," Bryant said. "I wish they would have told me that before re-signing me."


One of the sad things about modern life is that the rich and famous seem, in general, to have Papal dispensations that suspend the law of Karma.

But not always.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So let's see if I've got this straight: There were NO interesting political events this week and the "news" blurbs erupting from the acned skin of the teen idol media machine didn't catch your fancy so you chose to comment on the smelliest sport of all time? Having a middle-aged moment of angst are we? Feeling light-headed? Forgot to take your blood pressure meds? Ehhh?


TA

2:45 PM  
Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

TA, I believe wrestling is the smelliest sport of all time.

I grew up HATING the Lakers (and the Dodgers). Celtics fan early, then Warriors in college and up through today. I still argue that we would have had a national championship in the Mullin, Richmond, Hardaway years had they just got a decent (not even franchise) center.

But my father-in-law loves the Lakers. Or perhaps loved them. This season he never once yelled at the screen when a game was on like he used to. I asked if he was mellowing in his old age and he said, "No, it's because they suck now so there's no point in getting excited about it."

I talked about this with our Little League players today at practice - and they all agreed it was a weak move on Kobe's part. But then they are 13,14, and 15 and think Shaq sucks too.

Anyway - I'm all for the trivial post once in a while. As long as you don't do any of those insipid cat posts we see on other blogs.

Incidentally - I had a new thought on Bush today around his call for a climate change agreement. Didn't even have to read the whole article to know that it was probably a load of hooey and that "caps" would be "voluntary," and therefore not caps at all, but merely suggestions so long as it doesn't hurt the economy. And by economy I mean the net (gross) profit of the oil companies.

Anyway - I read once where someone said he was born on third base and thought he'd hit a triple.

Similarly, when he walks alone, he thinks he is leading. There's another blue meme for you.

9:55 PM  
Blogger bluememe said...

TA:

There were lots of interesting political events this week. And the folks in my blogroll have been doing a damned good job of saying things about them that I agree with.

I haven't talked about it here, but I have been very busy on a new project. And so I don't have hours to invest every day in finding something to express my Deep Thoughts about. I write when I have time and when I have something to say that isn't redundant.

For those few folks who have stayed with me from the glory days (such as they were), this blog must seem a much thinner gruel now. As Kurt Vonnegut said, so it goes. I'll be happy to refund your subscriptions.

Once upon a time I had a share in Lakers season tix. I paid a kajillion dollars to go to game seven of the 1988 finals. In the grand scheme of things, it is all meaningless. But I cared once. And Kobe single-handedly dismantled a storied franchise and turned me off to a sport I once loved.

This blog is where I blow off steam about stuff that catches my attention. Usually that's politics, but not always. If the odd non-political posts disturb you, by all means ignore them.

10:27 PM  
Blogger bluememe said...

esoder:

I always despised the Dodgers, too. But the reason probably won't please you --I grew up a Yankee fan. Reggie's 3 dingers on 3 pitches against the Dodgers in the '77 Series remains one of my favorite sports moments.

And thanks for sticking around, man. Much appreciated.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

esoder: depends if you are a participant or an observer to determine which sport is smellier:

blue: Ah, well then, the scent of money. What else is there to say?

TA

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats