Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Something's wrong -- Sully is making sense

Andrew Sullivan is like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you're gonna get. I read him when I first discovered the blogosphere, and thought he was interesting. Then he was an idiot. Then he was alternately deluded and insightful. But lately most of his stuff has seemed pretty good.

Today's The Gathering Storm paints a chilling but plausible picture of what could be coming as a result of our Iraq folly.
My own darkest fear is that the Middle East is at the beginning of its own period that Europe experienced in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries: a massive, sectarian, regional bloodbath. I hope this won't happen. I hope to be proven wrong again. But I fear the process is already underway. The best hope for Iraq is perhaps a temporary surge in U.S. troops to make one last effort at some effort at a relatively peaceful de facto partition, before the near-inevitable U.S. withdrawal and subsequent involvement of Saudis and Egyptians in support of the Sunnis and the Iranians on the side of the Shia. (At this point, I'd be relieved if we can save the Kurds.)

The major powers in the Middle East, in other words, are on the verge of behaving like the major powers in Europe centuries ago: they will act as expressions of national interest but also of sectarian theology. And they will fight a terrible war before they agree on a chastened peace.


Joe Bob sez check it out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Love the Joe Bob reference. Whatever happened to him? I haven't seen a pink section in years. And we actually have a drive-in in our area still.

As for Sully and the rest of the pundits, well, what they have to say doesn't much matter to me anymore. I had a boss once who was so awful that both her praise and her condemnation eventually meant equally little to me. Just because I agree with any given article doesn't mean the author is right or wrong, you know?

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

via Rawstory

Richest 2% 'own half the world'

FOLLOW THE MONEY

What else is there to say?

TA

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took Sullivan way too long to get off his ardent defense of Dubya. He lost me a long time ago. He writes what people want to hear. Rely on it.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was stunned that someone so intelligent and insightful (albeit hypocritical) would support Bush so blindly like he used to. I'm glad, though, he has removed the veil from his face to see the truth. I look forward to the time when he uses his powers for good.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can't blame this on the media. And you thought the dems would make a difference.

Latest Newsweek:

‘We Can’t Afford to Leave’
As the debate over Iraq intensifies, leading Democrat Silvestre Reyes is calling for the deployment of more U.S. troops.

• Iraq: Top Dem Wants More Troops
As the debate over Iraq intensifies, leading Democrat Silvestre Reyes is calling for the deployment of more U.S. troops.

Web Exclusive
By Michael Isikoff and Mark Hosenball
Newsweek

TA

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats