Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Scowcroft

The much-anticipated New Yorker piece on Brent Scowcroft isn't up on line, but my hard copy arrived in the mail this morning. Brent takes a diplomatic axe to the assministration, but my favorite passages are Poppy's backhanded shots at Junior:

When, in an e-mail, I asked George H. W. Bush about Scowcroft's most useful qualities as a national security adviser, he replied that Scowcroft "was very good about making sure that we did not simply consider the 'best case,' but instead considered what it would mean if things went our way, and also if they did not."
and

[Scowcroft] has a great propensity for friendship. By that I mean someone I can depend on to tell me what I need to know and not just what I want to hear...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




see web stats